London is one the world’s great metropolises. It’s got it all; art, music, architecture, history, shopping, sport, museums, education, royalty, business, fashion, food, parks and gardens and palaces. It’s even got a Queen. London is the heartbeat of the Anglo-Saxon world. It’s the home of the English language and a fabulous place to study and experience a truly mega city that’s pumps—full of people and ideas—24 hours a day.
We work with several schools in London. Have a look at the school profiles below. If you are not sure which London school suits you, we’ll be more than happy to help you choose. We can place you right in the city centre or 15 minutes from the crowds in a lovely green area. Do you want to be in a school where the student age is 21, 30 or 45? Just tell us what you want and we’ll find the right school for you.
So, what can we say about London? It’s posh and poor, Beckham and Bowie, punk and post–modern. London is big and dense. It has a population of almost 9 million people. The Tube (underground train) is the best way to travel the city. You can travel relatively cheaply with an Oyster Card . The Tube map (view or download ) is your ‘London bible’. After a week in London you will know the Tube map as well as you know your best friend.
“When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford,”Samuel Johnson.
There’s no such thing as boredom in London. There’s too much to do and see. The best guide for music and arts, food and clubbing is Time Out London . With the Tube map and Time Out London in hand, you can discover London with NO stress.
Here’s are some of our favourite things we like to do in London:
- Go and see a comedy musical. Brilliant! You can often find cheaper tickets on lastminute.com
- The Natural History Museum . Awesome! Check out the animatronic dinosaurs
- The Tate Modern – one of the great contemporary art galleries of the world.
- Wander down Brick Lane , check out the markets and have breakfast at Cereal Killers Café
- Walk through Hyde Park and listen to the soapbox speakers at Speakers’ Corner every Sunday afternoon
- Shop until you drop: Oxford Street , Regent Street , Bond Street , Kensington High Street , Kings Road
- Spitalfields market – cool, funky, alternative.
- Harrods Department Store - see how the posh live
- Visit the Tower of London
- Have a curry or two or three – the best curries outside India and Pakistan
- Madame Tussaud’s Waxwork Museum
- Visit the Peter Harrison Planetarium in Greenwich Park
- Camden Street Market has got absolutely everything
- Watch a cricket match at Lord’s (if you can keep your eyes open)
- Get some tickets to see Arsenal play at home against Manchester United
- Visit Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament
- Check out Portobello Road Market and Notting Hill
- Go to Petticoat Lane Market
Frances King is one of London’s best known and most respected English schools. Frances King has taught more than 200,000 students over the last 40 years. The main school is in Kensington , a fashionable and comfortable quarter in central London. It is close to Kensington Palace , the Science Museum , the Design Museum and the department store Harrods . It’s a good place to play spot-the-celebrity in the many cafes, bars, restaurants and shops.
Frances King offer as great range of courses as well as social, sporting and cultural activities most afternoons and evenings so you can meet lots of other students and get to know London. It’s a big school with a wide range of programmes. Many of our students follow long-term academic programmes at Frances King and then go on to study in a London university.
- Kensington, central London
- Close to just about everything
- Homestay: Zone 2 and 3. Average commuting time: 40 mins
- Student residences: 2 regular residences—Mansion Chelsea (15 min walk) & Pure Hammersmith (15 mins by underground)
- General English courses: Intensive English for Everyday 23.3 hours per week morning and early afternoon
- Beginner’s English: in the morning
- Academic Year Programmes: 25–52 weeks
- IELTS Preparation: all year and 4-week courses in summer
- Cambridge English Preparation: FCE & CAE all year and 4-week courses in summer
- Club 8: only 5-8 students per class for professionals aged 24 and above
- Family programmes: for children and their parents
- London teenager programme: residential summer camp
- One–to–One private lesson and One–to–Two lessons
- Max class size: 15 students (8 for Club 8 Courses)
- Average class size: 12 students (5 for Club 8 Courses)
- School capacity: 600 students
- Average Age: 24 (over 35 for Club 8 courses)
- Minimum Age: 16+ (24+ for Club 8 courses)
- Standard 16.6 hours mornings only
- Afternoon 15 hours only.
- Evening lessons also available
- Lessons are 50 minutes
- 52 classrooms
- Self-access study centre
- Student computers and free Wi-Fi
- Café / lounge / communal areas
- Interactive whiteboards in all classrooms
- Student books / DVDs / textbooks
- Student Services Office
English Plus Internship: For Swiss and French from the age of 18 to 30. Unpaid work in a London company.
- Six activities every week: one every weekday and one in the weekend
- Guided walking tours in London: Harry Potter walk, Beatles walk, Thames River walk and many others
- Visits to galleries, museums, Parliament and the BBC
- Evening activities including pub night with teachers, restaurants and music venues
- Speaking skills and other language workshops
- Weekend excursions to Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge, and more…
The Language House likes
Frances King is located right in the heart of trendy London. There are lots of study options including full day, morning, afternoon or evening. Frances King is an excellent starting point if you need to improve your academic English and get a 6.5 or 7.0 in your IELTS exam to get into a London university.