Portsmouth is the UK’s only island city. It is a charming waterfront city with a rich maritime history, a great music and creative arts scene and impressive literary connections. The great Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol) was born here. Clearly Portsmouth is an inspiring place. It’s a popular destination for visitors who want to unwind and relax by the sea. There are not many language schools, which means less French speakers.
LSI Portsmouth is one of UK’s largest English language schools. It offers a wide range of programmes for both younger students and more mature professional people. The school is situated in the university quarter of the city. It’s only a few minutes walk from the seafront. The school management team is young and dynamic. The school offers an excellent weekly social programme and a free Jobs Club which helps students with their CVs and interview skills. The school has an agreement with the University of Portsmouth which allows students to join university clubs and societies. You can even join the university gym just across the road.
- South coast, 1.5 hours from London
- City centre, close to the beach, university and parks and close to bus and train connections
- Self-catering student houses
- Executive homestay (for students taking executive or 30+ courses)
- General English
- 30+ General English (Age 30+)
- IELTS Exam Preparation
- Cambridge Exam Preparation (FCE, CAE, CPE)
- University Pre-Sessional
- General English + Business (Age 25+)
- Executive English (Age 25+)
- Internship Programme
- 1:1 Lessons
- English for Teachers
- Max class size: 12 students (8 for 30+, 4 for business group classes)
- Average class size: 10 students
- School capacity: 400 students
- Average Age: 23
- Minimum Age: 18+
- General English Courses 22.5 hours
- Lessons are 75 minutes
- 55 classrooms
- Self-Access Study Centre
- IELTS Examination Centre
- Student computers and free Wi-Fi
- Student Social Hub with lounge area, Nespresso machine, table tennis and pool table
- Interactive Whiteboards in most classrooms
- Separate Executive Centre and Executive Lounge for executive and 30+ students.
- Internship Programme
- Social programme activities every day (except Sunday) including: Salsa, karaoke, VIP party, football, badminton and conversation club
- Trips to: London, Brighton, Bournemouth, Isle of Wight, Stonehenge, Oxford and Winchester.
- Free Job Club: Weekly workshop to help you improve your CV and practise interview techniques in English
- Students can join the sports and special interest clubs at University of Portsmouth Student Union (UPSU) during term time. You can also join the university gym (just opposite the school!)
The Language House likes
If Portsmouth was good enough for the great and wonderful Charles Dicken, it’s got to be good enough for you. But seriously, there are few schools that offer such a wide choice of English courses. And when you are not studying you can access the sports, clubs or gym of the university just next door. That’s brilliant!