Cambridge is home to one of the world’s oldest and most famous universities. It’s a very English experience. It is said that if you take deep breaths of Cambridge air, your IQ rises like a hot air balloon. For centuries, the nation’s brightest (and richest) have studied in Cambridge and its sister university city Oxford. It’s one of the great places of learning. And it’s a great place to enjoy yourself.
Cambridge has its own film festival , as well as the Summer in the City season, the Shakespeare Festival , the Strawberry Fair , the Cambridge Literary Festival , the Science Festival , the Buskers and Street Performers Festival , the Big Weekend event, and perhaps most famous of all, the Cambridge Folk Festival . If you need more excitement, London is just 45 minutes away by train.
Cambridge is quite small. The population is about 125,000. About 25,000 are students. It is also a relatively expensive place to live. Prices are similar to London and Oxford.
Cambridge Academy of English (CAE) is a small independent school founded in 1975. It offers courses for adult students (minimum age 17) and has dedicated programmes for professionals/executives. The centre tailors it courses to the needs of its students. The academy also runs a regular “English for lawyers” course.
Cambridge is north of London. Its takes 45 minutes by train to travel from London to Cambridge. The school is in Girton , a lovely, safe, comfortable village–suburb about 15 minutes by bus from the centre of Cambridge.
Most homestay accommodation is in Girton village, with a 10 to 20 minute walk to and from the academy.
- General English
- Examination courses - IELTS and Cambridge FCE, CAE and CPE
- English for Law Students (100% legal English) and LEGIS (mixed legal and general English)
- English for business students
- English for professionals in small groups/private and combination
- English for senior lawyers
- General English: 21 hours per week plus 10 hours of teacher-assisted self-study
- Max class size: 12 students
- Average class size: 9 students
- School size: small 50 - 120 students
- 22 classrooms
- Computer centre
- Extensive DVD/Video facilities
- Library and interactive listening centre
- Professional courses for working people: 25 or 30 hours per week
- Max class size: 4
- Separate dedicated centre for professionals
The school has a dedicated social activities team providing a wide range of mid–week and weekend activities in the schools, and well as excursions in and around Cambridge, Oxford, London, Stonehenge, Ireland and Scotland, as well as:
The Language House likes
The Cambridge Academy of English is the only school in Girton, and one of only three independent recognised schools in the Cambridge area. It’s well-established and managed with passion by John Barnes and his staff. It’s an authentic very-English language experience. The academy is a member of English UK , Business English UK , IALC , and The English Network (TEN) .