Bondi (pronounced Bond-eye), is Australia’s most famous beach. For anyone who has been to Sydney, Bondi means beach, sand and surf. Yep, it means good times. For many backpackers, millionaires, surfers, English students and sunbathers, Bondi is often the first place to visit in Sydney. Nothing beats jet-lag more than a Bondi dip in the surf. There are lots of restaurants and bars, boutiques, yoga schools, and weekend markets. Sip a cappuccino in the beachside café and watch a very colourful and lively world go by.
Walk along the clifftops of Bondi, Tamarama and Bronte. Swim in natural rockpools at the southern end of Bronte Beach. You can often see migrating whales between May and November. This is Sydney beach culture at its best – 24/7. It’s only 15 minutes from the city centre and less than 10 minutes from our favourite English school - Sydney English Language Centre (SELC) in Bondi Junction, a busy residential and shopping area close to Bondi beach.
Close to the famous Bondi Beach, surf and the city centre, SELC (pronounced SELK) is a medium-large English school of between 200 and 300 students in Bondi Junction. It is a short bus or train ride to the city centre. Bondi Beach is Sydney’s most famous beach. For the more adventurous you can surf the Bondi waves or simply relax in the dozens of trendy bars and cafes around the beach. (Our favourite cafes for a delicious breakfast are Speedos Cafe and Lox Stock & Barrel ).
SELC is one of our favourite English schools in Sydney. We’ve been working together for 15 years. The Language House is part of the SELC family. Hundreds of our students have studied at SELC. Some of them have fallen seriously in love with Sydney and gone back to study and work. SELC has great teachers and excellent student services and student care led by the indomitable Emma. The schools offer a wide range of English programmes and English exams as well as regular job-finding workshops. SELC has been around for more than 30 years. They know how to teach English and look after students from all over the world. It's a great school to prepare for your CAE exam or start your gap year in Australia.
SELC English college is in Bondi Junction in Sydney’s east. It is close to both the beach and city centre. Bondi Junction is a busy commercial centre with massive shopping centres, international food centres, cinema complexes, fitness centres and trendy cafes and restaurants. If you get up early enough you can have a swim or a surf before your first lesson.
- Homestay: Average travel time 20-30 minutes.
- Student residences: Three student residences from 10 to 20 minutes travel time from the school.
- General English
- Cambridge exam preparation FCE, CAE, CPE
- IELTS exam preparation
- English for University
- English for Customer Service
- General English: 20 hours per week plus 1.5 hour optional conversation class and 5 hours of self-study
- Max class size: 15 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- School size: medium-large 200 - 300 students
- 22 classrooms
- Computers and Wi-Fi
- Kitchen and dining area
- Student-operated cafe
- Study centre and computer lounge
- Information and travel desk
- The SELC Kookaburra Club organises social activities such as a monthly welcome party for new students
- Sports activities: football & beach volleyball
- Sightseeing trips in Sydney
- Weekend trips to surfing beaches & Blue Mountains
- Regular movies and trivia nights
- Evening harbour cruise parties
- Special cultural and sporting events
- BBQs on the beach
- Fitness boot camp
- Bowling, tennis, golf and football games
The school has job-finding workshops and actively helps students to find work.
The Language House likes
- The SELC harbour cruise parties are legendary (see photos below).
- SELC also runs a Sport and Fitness Career College