The Horner School of English is owned and managed by the Horner Family. It is a school for adult students, located in the city centre of Dublin—an area famous for its Georgian style buildings and close to two beautiful parks. You can see the school in the U2 video, Sweetest Thing.
Most classes are relatively small between 8 and 10 students. The school is a member of the Quality English group.
- The school buildings date back to 1790.
- Walking distance to transport, St. Stephen’s Green and Grafton Street full of shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants.
- Families live in the suburbs in Dublin. Average travelling time is 40 minutes by bus or train (DART). Students are placed close to train or bus links.
- Students are hosted in single rooms. Twin rooms are available in the summer. Homestay is half board. All families have been visited by a member of the Horner family.
- Horner Residence: Single room, en-suite, shared kitchen, self-catering
- Shared Apartment: Single room, shared bathroom, shared kitchen, self-catering
- Baggot City Apartments: studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments, private bathroom, private kitchen, self-catering
- Baggot City Residence: Twin room, en-suite, half board
- Standard Course: 20 lessons of General English
- Standard Course PLUS (Fluency or Business): 26 lessons—20 lessons of General English PLUS 6 lessons of fluency or business English
- Standard Course PLUS (IELTS or TOEFL or Cambridge exam prep): 26 lessons—20 lessons of General English PLUS 6 lessons of exam preparation
- Semi-Intensive Courses: 22, 25 or 30 lessons—20 lessons of General English PLUS 2, 5 or 10 private lessons
- One 2 One: 20, 25, 30 or 40 lessons of private tuition
- General English: 20 or 26 lessons per week
- Max class size: maximum 12 students October–June. Maximum 14 students in July, August, September
- Average class size: average 8 students from October–June. Average 10 students in July, August, September
- School size: small to medium 120–250 students
- 16 classrooms
- Computer and wifi
- Private garden, coffee room, quiet study room
Work Experience Programme: unpaid, 8 – 24 weeks, minimum B2 level of English, plus 4 weeks Standard PLUS Business course
Social activities are arranged throughout the year. There are at least two activities every week and one weekend excursion each month. In the summer months there are weekend excursion every weekend.
The Language House likes
The Horner School of English is a shining example of how family run schools often offer a much better English experience compared to larger chain schools. The Horner family is invested in the day to day running of the school. The level of services and quality of teaching is excellent.